Monday, September 1, 2014

Stay at Home Cat Mom: Funemployment

So I wrote this post last week, and in that time I got a job offer! It's exciting, and a little nerve wracking that I'll be living a conventional work schedule for the first time in over two years. It definitely feels like the final return to reality after Peace Corps.

We've been in our apartment for almost a month, and for that whole month I've been funemployed. I cook, take mid morning and late afternoon naps, and go on interviews that leave me standing on the border of the abyss side of hopeless. In a way I've been lucky to have the luxury of moving into a new place while unemployed - I'm always home for deliveries and cable guys, I can spend hours rearranging my collage wall of decorations, and I can drink wine at the pool. I also spend hours worrying about getting a job, looking at my budget sheet with an existential sense of doom, and regretting spending twenty dollars at Half Price Books.

quality time with Tut

When I'm in those deep, dark miserable worries about getting a job, I try to think about how some time soon, I will have a job and I'll be grounded and can look back at this relatively brief time of funemployment with fondness and envy. Who else can go grocery shopping at 10:30 am with all the senior citizens in the area? I'll miss afternoon walks to the library and getting to lay around all day meow-ing with Tut.

I try to be peaceful, I try to be present. I think about what Warsan Shire wrote:

“The sun is perfect and you woke this morning. You have enough language in your mouth to be understood. You have a name, and someone wants to call it. Five fingers on your hand and someone wants to hold it. If we just start there, every beautiful thing that has and will ever exist is possible. If we start there, everything, for a moment, is right in the world.”
That's almost a good book reccomendation. Here's a few good looks from last week:

top- j crew outlet, leggings- Victoria's Secret, boots- Target 
I wore this outfit to tailgate Pittsburgh's Rib Fest [and to eat ribs].
denim vest- thrifted, tank top- tj maxx, maxi skirt- target
Even though its been muggy and humid all week, all I want to wear is boots. Tights would've been miserably hot and sweaty, so I wore my thigh highs. Cool crotch for a cool girl.

so cool. thigh highs- torrid, boots- deena & ozzy
I wore this headband all weekend to try and hide my constantly sweaty bangs. It's an old piece from NY&Co.

eye liner: elf, lips: OCC lip tar

I wore this on a friendventure:

blouse- weird indonesian shop, jeggings- target,  boots- deena & ozzy
Once again, needed to put my bangs back as soon as I went outside. Also, I bought these nonessential sunglasses at Target and felt wildly extravagant, but, whatever I have a job now.

all I'm wearing here is Bare Escentuals Prime Time primer & matte foundation


current arm party: coin bracelet- cambodian, glass bracelet- smithsonian, hamsa bracelet- indonesian,
claddagh ring- thrifted

bonus face: wearing NARS The Multiple Orgasm stick as blush and lip, elf eyeliner 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive