Monday, August 25, 2014

One Counter Cooking - Slow Cooker Black Beans

These beans are out of control. Soft and flavorful, some might call it "transcendent." Eat with rice, in wraps or tacos, as a side. 

I ate mine with dirty rice and chicken (in a mushroom Dijon sauce). 

I made up this recipe after browsing through a few blog posts. I doctored it to my tastes (spicy) and what I had on hand. I would've used all chicken stock but I was nearly out when it came time to cook. I quick soaked the beans - basically boil them for 2 minutes in 6 cups of water and then let stand for an hour. 

INGREDIENTS 
1 lb of black beans (you'll need to soak them before cooking!)
2 bell peppers
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic 
1 cup salsa
2 seeded and sliced jalapeños 
2 bay leaves 
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin 
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup water
1/4 cup fresh cilantro

In a skillet sautée the onion, garlic, and bell peppers [rinsed and chopped first, duh]. Salt and pepper to taste. When the veggies have browned slightly, remove from heat. 

I did a large chop on the peppers and onion

In your crockpot add the beans, chicken stock, water (enough so that the beans are covered), salsa, herbs, and seasonings. For jalapeños, I used the jarred variety. Add your sautéed veggies, stir it up, and set the crock pot to high. 

Ready to stew 

Depending on your pot, it will take 4-5 hours. My pot is older, so it took 5+ hours. At the 5 hour mark I mashed the pot a few  times, to add an extra creamy texture. 

It filled a 2 quart corningware dish. Beautiful.

I wish I had lime juice!! It's going on the top of my list next shopping trip. Consider topping with sour cream or avocado, or both. Or cheese. Get your freak on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive