Wednesday, August 20, 2014

One Counter Cooking - Sautéed Sweet Potato & Spinach Pasta Salad

Since moving into my new apartment, I've been cooking and feeding myself for the first time in two years. When I was in Peace Corps, my well meaning host mother would hardly let me boil water. Now I'm queen of my own kitchen and pantry. 

Pinterest has been an endless source of recipes with which to experiment. This is one of the non-Pinterest meals I've thrown together. 



Sautéed sweet potato & spinach pasta salad, with homemade balsamic vinaigrette and feta. 

My one failing was that I started off sautéing the sweet potato and the spinach simultaneously. And clearly they did not need the same cooking time.   Despite some too crispy spinach, this wound up being an excellent single lady/one counter meal. 

INGREDIENTS

1+ cups cooked pasta of choice

1 medium sized sweet potato

2 cups spinach 

1/4 cup feta cheese (or more, whatever. you do you.)

Olive oil, salt and pepper for sautéing... you're a grown ass human, you know how much you like. 

Balsamic Vinaigrette INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup EVOO

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1 clove of garlic, minced 

1 green onion, finely chopped

Salt and pepper, as you wish. 

Wash and peel your sweet potato (or potatoes if you aren't an independent single woman eating alone, like me) and halve and slice. Sauté in a pan with olive oil and salt and pepper. Once the sweet potato has softened (and gotten a nice tan), throw in the spinach... and maybe some extra EVOO if the pan is getting dry. 

While you're sautéing that sweet potato, which might take 5 + minutes, add all the ingredients for your dressing in a jar (I reuse a glass salsa jar). Screw on the lid and shake well!! Shake it like a shake weight! The recipe I adapted this dressing from included honey and Dijon mustard, but I prefer my dressing on the bitter side to balance out the sweet potato. 

The deed is done, so add your sautéed veggies to a bowl of cooked pasta, pour on some of that dressing, and top with feta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive